Integration.....



Integration protesters in the south
 During the time period of the book that I have been reading. The school that Daniel moves to has recently integrated. I researched integration last year in U.S. history, and being half black, this subject especially interests me. From what I found out, there were several fights and protesters everyday. Constant police sirens filled the atmosphere. Also, what some people don't realize some African Americans opposed integration of the schools because it implied the inferiority of the black culture. They believed that they should be taught in black schools by black teachers so that the students would better understand, relate, and meet the needs of the students. I could not imagine having to go through such stress and instability everyday of my life. Not knowing what could happen to you that day at school. Sometimes, the black students would get harassed and beat up with no penalty to the ones who beat them up. This is not right in anyway. I am very grateful for growing up in the time period that I'm growing up in. I also have much respect for the people that had to go through that and also want to thank them for being strong and standing up for my culture. Although, I am half white as well, during this time period I would be considered black because of the "one drop" rule. Sad but true.
Personally, I hate race jokes against anyone. Unfortunately its around everywhere. I had a bad experience my freshman year with racism. Kids were telling me that I couldn't drink out of a certain drinking fountain, and asking me if I rode a different bus..I was like are you serious right now? This is the 21st century and you're honestly asking me this? However, it's just made me a stronger person.

No comments:

Post a Comment